ITT Technical Institute - New Jersey Campus

Frequently Asked Questions


Who is Consolidated Health Plans? Who is University Health Plans? What are their roles? How do I contact them?

Consolidated Health Plans (CHP) is the claims administrator for the health insurance plan. CHP is responsible for answering questions about insurance benefits, claims and providing replacement ID cards. If you have any questions for CHP, please email or call 800-633-7867. University Health Plans (UHP) is the broker/plan manager who handles the enrollment process for the school health insurance plan. Please email UHP at or call 800-437-6448 if there are any questions about your enrollment or if there are customer service issues with CHP.

Do I get an insurance card?

Yes. When your enrollment in the Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan is submitted to Consolidated Health Plans, you will get an ID card mailed to the address provided to us by your school.

What if I lost my insurance card?

Please contact CHP at 800-633-7867 to request another card.

How can I determine which providers I can see?

You can seek treatment from any provider. The insurance will pay a percentage of the Usual & Customary charges for services that are covered by the plan.

Who should I contact for updating my personal information such as a mailing address, name, etc.?

Please call UHP at 800-437-6448 to update your personal information.



Once I receive treatment, is there anything that I need to do to have my claim processed?

Although you are not required to submit a student claim form to CHP each time, there may be situations where CHP contacts you for additional information about your injury, other insurance plans that are possibly covering you, etc. If CHP sends you a form to complete, the processing of your claim may stop until the form is properly completed and returned.

How can I check the status of a claim I submitted?

You can also contact CHP via phone at 800-633-7867 or email at

What if I don't know what my password is?

Your password is located in the upper right-hand corner of the mailer containing your identification card.

What are some of the reasons CHP might not reimburse my medical provider for a claim I submitted?

CHP will send a letter when a claim is denied. The following are common reasons for denial:

  • Other insurance may be responsible for paying the claim.
  • The services may not be covered according to the exclusions listed in your Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Program brochure.
  • The claim may not have occurred while you were covered.
  • The charges may be over the Reasonable and Customary amount (any questions about the Reasonable and Customary policy please contact CHP).

If I am in a car accident or sustain any other injury, what kind of documents will I need in order to submit a claim form for reimbursement?

You will be asked for a description of the accident, other coverage information and perhaps a police report. A letter from CHP will be sent to you requesting the pertinent information.

I have exhausted my medical benefits, what are my options?

You should speak with your provider to see if they can set up a payment schedule with you that meets your financial needs. Depending on your circumstances you may qualify for some state aid.



If I have a benefit question about my policy, who should I ask?

We recommend that you familiarize yourself with your covered benefits located in the Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Program brochure. If you still need assistance, please email or call CHP and a claims administrator can help you with your benefit questions. You may contact CHP at or 800-633-7867.

Does ITT’s Student Insurance cover prescription drugs?

Yes. Your student insurance covers prescription drugs.

Which pharmacy can I go to get my prescription?

You can go to any participating pharmacy that is part of the Express Scripts Network, such as CVS, Brooks, Costco, Stop & Shop, etc. To find out more about participating pharmacies, please contact Express Scripts at 800-451-6245. If you go to a pharmacy that is not within the Express Scripts Network, you will be required to pay for the full cost of the prescription out-of-pocket. You may then submit a claim to Express Scripts for reimbursement by using the Prescription Drug Reimbursement Form, which is located on the UHP website. To find this form, select your school from the UHP home page and select the Student Accident & Sickness Plan. You will see a blue box on the next page that links to this form.

Does this plan cover dental?

The only dental coverage that you will have is when you need treatment for any injury to sound natural teeth. There is a voluntary DeltaCare dental plan that is available to you. The premium for the voluntary dental plan is not included with your Accident & Sickness plan premium. You may enroll in and pay for the DeltaCare dental plan on the UHP website during open enrollment periods. Please see the UHP website for enrollment deadlines and more details. From the UHP home page, select your school and then click on “Voluntary DeltaCare Dental Plan”.

Does this plan offer any vision benefits?

This plan provides a vision discount plan. For details, go to and click on the CHP Vision Discount Plan link on the left side.

There is also a voluntary VSP Vision Care Plan that is available to you. The premium for the voluntary vision plan is not included with your Accident & Sickness plan premium. You may enroll in and pay for the VSP Vision Care plan on the UHP website during open enrollment periods. Please see the UHP website for enrollment deadlines and more details. From the UHP home page, select your school and then click on “Voluntary VSP Vision Care Plan”.

What is a "pre-existing condition"? How does this affect me as a consumer of this health insurance?

A pre-existing condition is any condition which originates, is diagnosed, treated or recommended for treatment within six (6) months immediately prior to the Insured Person’s Effective Date of coverage under this Policy (Diagnosis, care and treatment will not include any prior diagnosis of or treatment for infertility.)

What is the policy regarding pre-existing conditions?

Pre-existing conditions are not covered for the first 6 months following the Covered Person’s effective date of coverage under the Policy. Pregnancy shall not be considered a Pre-Existing Condition. This limitation will not apply if, during the period immediately preceding the Covered Person’s effective date of coverage under the Policy, the Covered Person was continuously insured under the school’s prior health Policy or was covered under prior creditable coverage for 6 consecutive months. Prior creditable coverage of less than 6 months will be credited toward satisfying the pre-existing condition limitation. This waiver of pre-existing conditions will apply only if the Covered Person becomes eligible and applies for coverage with 63 days of termination of his or her prior coverage. The Covered Person must provide CHP with proof of prior creditable coverage.

What is a usual and customary charge and how does that charge affect me as a consumer?

Usual & Customary charges means the normal and customary charge of the provider, incurred by the Covered Person, in the absence of insurance for a service or supply, but not more than the prevailing charge in the geographic area.

“Geographic area” means the three (3) digit zip code in which the service, treatment, procedure, drugs or supplies are provided; greater area if necessary to obtain a representative cross-section of charges for a like treatment, service, procedure, device, drug or supply. Where appropriate, the Usual and Customary (U&C) charge will be determined on the basis of the Ingenix Survey of Prevailing Fees.