University of Bridgeport


This information should be used in conjunction with the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) information summarized on your school specific page at as well as your Plan Brochure. If you need a copy of your Student Health Insurance Plan brochure, please go to your school specific page at or contact us at 800-437-6448 or

Who provides my Student Health Insurance Plan?

  • The Student Health Insurance Plan is underwritten by National Guardian Life and claims are paid by Consolidated Health Plans (CHP). The plan includes Cigna’s Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) for access to in-network medical providers.
  • University Health Plans administers the plan and is available to help with any waiver, enrollment or benefit related questions.

What are the coverage periods for my Student Health Insurance Plan?

  • Annual students begin: 8/1/2017 and end 7/31/2018
  • New spring students begin: 1/4/2018 and end 7/31/2018
  • New summer students begin: 5/1/2018 and end 7/31/2018

What is the cost of Student Health Insurance Plan?

  • Annual Students: $1,600
  • New Spring Students: $920
  • New Summer Students: $400

Who is eligible for the Student Health Insurance Plan?

  • Automatically Enrolled Students:
    • International Students
    • Full Time Undergraduate Students
    • Physician Assistants
    • All other students living on campus
  • Voluntary Students
    • Part Time Students taking 7 or more credits
    • Non-Resident Graduate Students taking 6 or more credits
  • Voluntary Dependents (when student is enrolled in the UB Student Health Insurance Plan)
    • Spouse (including civil union residing with insured)
    • Children under age 26

Who is NOT eligible for the Student Health Insurance Plan?

  • Home study, correspondence, Internet, and television (TV) courses do not fulfill the Eligibility requirements.

How do I enroll in coverage?

  • Students automatically enrolled
    • International Students, Full Time Undergraduate Students, Physician Assistants and students living on campus who enroll in school for the fall, spring or semester are automatically enrolled in and billed for the student health insurance plan. The bill on your student account confirms your enrollment.
  • Eligible for voluntary online enrollment
    • Part-time students taking 7 or more credits, non-resident graduate students taking 6 or more credits and summer students are eligible to voluntarily enroll online. Payment is required (available via credit card) at the time of enrollment.
    • Students enrolled in the plan may enroll their dependents via the online enrollment form. Payment is required (available via credit card) at the time of enrollment.
  • Enrollment Deadline
    • Annual Enrollments: August 15, 2017
    • New Spring Enrollments: February 15, 2017
    • New Summer Enrollments: by the first day of classes

How do I waive coverage?

  • Domestic students with comparable coverage may waive the student health insurance plan via the online waiver form.
  • International students are not eligible to waive via the online form and should contact University Health Plans with questions about waiving coverage.

What is comparable coverage?

  • Your other insurance plan must provide access to in-network providers in the geographical area surrounding your school.
  • Plans such as out of state Medicaid plans, certain HMO plans or managed care plans often do not provide out of area coverage.
  • Your plan must provide comprehensive benefits in the geographical location around your school including, preventative and primary care, emergency care, in-patent and out-patient hospitalization, lab work, x-rays, diagnostic tests and prescription drug coverage. Emergency only coverage is not sufficient.

What is the waiver deadline?

  • The Deadline to waive is:
    • Annual Enrollments: August 15, 2017
    • New Spring Enrollments: February 15, 2017
    • New Summer Enrollments: First day of classes
  • If you waived in the fall or spring, you do not have to waive again until the next academic year.
  • Waiver form

Can I enroll or terminate my coverage mid-year?

  • Qualifying Events
    • Students who previously waived coverage and lose their other coverage during the academic year may enroll in the student health insurance plan as of the date they lose their other coverage.
    • Dependents may be added due to loss of other coverage, marriage or birth.
    • Paperwork must be received with 31 days of the qualifying event.
    • Contact University Health Plans for premium.
  • Termination Options
    • Students who cease to be enrolled in the University of Bridgeport during the first 31 days of coverage will be retroactively terminated to the effective date and premium will be returned.
    • Students who leave the university after the first 31 days will be covered through the end of the policy period.
    • No other termination options are available.

How do I find information about my plan?

How do I use my health insurance plan?

  • When visiting the doctor/hospital you should provide a copy of your ID card so your provider can bill your insurance company. All in-network and many out-of-network providers will bill the insurance company directly.
  • If you saw an out of network provider, or did not provide your insurance information to the doctor’s office or pharmacy and had to pay out of pocket you can submit the medical claim form for reimbursement.
  • Any students who sustains an injury must submit in writing details of how, when and where the injury occurred. Students may use the Detail of Injury Questionnaire to submit this information.
  • To locate the appropriate claim form, go to the navigation page on the left hand side of the UHP portal, download the form and follow the instructions on the form.

What do these insurance terms mean?

  • Copay: A fixed amount you pay for a covered health care service, usually paid when you receive the service.
  • Co-insurance: This is your share of the costs of a covered service, calculated as a percent of the service charge. Your provider will usually bill you for the co-insurance after the insurance company has processed the claim.
  • Deductible: If your plan has a deductible this is the amount you owe for health care services your plan covers before your health insurance begins to pay. Your provider will usually bill you for the deductible after the insurance company has processed the claim.
  • Out of Pocket Maximum: This is the most you pay out of pocket during a policy period before your health insurance plan begins to pay 100% for covered services. This can include the deductible, co-insurance and copays but does not include your premium, balanced billed charges or healthcare your plan does not cover. Refer to your plan to determine the policy period and what goes towards the out of pocket maximum.
  • In & Out-of-Network: An in-network provider or hospital is contracted to provide services for pre-negotiated rates. You will pay less when you receive services from in-network providers or hospitals. Out-of-network providers and hospitals are not contracted with the insurance plan. If your plan allows you to see out-of-network providers, you will pay more when you receive services. Please refer to your plan brochure to confirm whether your plan provides out-of-network benefits.
  • Preferred Provider Organization (PPO): A PPO is a type of health insurance plan that allows you to see any doctor or specialist of your choice. Your out of pocket expenses will often be lower if you choose an in-network provider. This plan does not require that you have a primary care physician.

Who can I contact with questions about the student health insurance plan?

What happens to my insurance when I graduate or leave University of Bridgeport?

  • Last day of coverage
    • July 31, 2017
  • Extension option
    • Consolidated Health Plans offers an option to extend the insurance and the application is due before July 31. There are no exceptions to this deadline. Please find the application on the website
  • How to find insurance when Student Health Insurance Plan ends
    • If you have secured a job or are planning to attend graduate school, review your available insurance information to determine when you are eligible for coverage and plan to enroll before the deadline.
    • If you do not have a job lined up or will have a gap in coverage begin to review your options at least 45 to 30 days before you lose coverage to ensure you have adequate time to enroll.
    • A loss of coverage is a qualifying event to enroll in other coverage if you do so in a timely manner.
    • If you are under age 26 you may be able to enroll as a dependent under your parent’s health insurance plan. Your parent should contact their human resource department to determine eligibility. Be sure to confirm coverage in your geographical area and evaluate the additional cost and out of pocket expense to join this plan.
    • Visit the healthcare market place in the state in which you plan to be a resident. You can access state specific exchanges via
    • Through your state specific marketplace, you may qualify for low cost or no cost subsidized plans.