Frequently Asked Questions for Graduating Students

Can I continue my George Washington University Student Health Plan?
No, a continuation option is not available.

Why is COBRA not available through the George Washington University Student Health Plan?
The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1986 (COBRA) is a federal mandate requiring employers to offer extension of health care benefits to their employees after termination of employment. The Student Health Plan is not an employer plan and therefore, COBRA is not available.

Can I be treated at the school health center?
Graduated students (and their dependents) are not eligible to receive care at the student health center.

How can I get a Certificate of Health Plan Coverage?
You may need a “Certificate of Health Plan Coverage” when you purchase another plan. If you were last covered by Nationwide through Consolidated Health Plans, contact University Health Plans at or 800-437-6448 to obtain this document. If you were last covered by Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield, contact the Customer Service phone number on your insurance card to request this document.

Do all states have the same laws and regulations when it comes to health insurance?
No, to learn more about the health insurance laws and regulations in the state you will be residing visit