Blackburn College

2016-2017 Academic Year

Dear Student:

Enclosed you will find a description of the 2016-17 Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan. The insurance carrier will be National Guardian Life Insurance Company with claims being administered by Consolidated Health Plans, Inc.

The Blackburn College Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan provides coverage to students for a 12-month period from August 20, 2016 through August 19, 2017.

EVERY STUDENT attending Blackburn College MUST provide evidence of medical insurance. You must let us know if you are enrolling in the Student Accident and Sickness Plan offered by Blackburn College or if you will waive this plan in lieu of other insurance coverage. ALL STUDENTS must record their online waiver by July 15, 2016 in order to ensure your bill accurately reflects your choice, and those enrolling in the Blackburn College Plan have their medical ID cards as early as possible. If you do not have comparable health insurance coverage or do not complete the waiver by the deadline, you will be required to purchase the Student Accident & Sickness Plan and will be automatically enrolled and charged the annual cost of $270; no refunds will be given.

PLEASE NOTE: If you are currently covered under a non-US based insurance carrier or, a foreign national health service program (socialized medicine), you are NOT eligible to waive the Blackburn College Student Health Insurance plan. These types of plans are not considered comparable coverage and you will be required to enroll in the Blackburn College Student Health Insurance Plan.

To assist you in making an informed decision regarding your health insurance needs, here are some general questions to ask your current health plan to ensure it provides adequate coverage:

Does your current health plan...

  1. ...provide coverage while in the area of Blackburn College? Many HMO plans provide coverage for emergency treatment only while out-of-area of the local HMO.
  2. ...cover you as long as you are a registered student at Blackburn College? Most employer plans drop dependents at a certain age or if a parent has a job change.
  3. ...provide medical evacuation and repatriation benefits for students studying abroad? Most private or employer sponsored plans do not include these benefits.

We encourage you to read the information provided and take the time to make an informed decision regarding your health coverage. If you have questions regarding the Student Accident and Sickness Plan, please contact University Health Plans Inc. at or 800.437.6448.

Blackburn College