STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN
2015-2016 Academic Year
The Lehigh University Student Health and Wellness Center provides primary medical care for students. Services include treatment of routine illnesses and injuries, gynecological care, allergy injections, and immunizations.
During the academic year, the Health and Wellness Center is open from 8:15 AM to 4:45 PM Monday through Friday, and 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM Saturday. The first appointments on Fridays are scheduled at 9:15 AM. The last appointments on weekdays are scheduled at 4:30 PM. Saturday clinic is for urgent concerns only; no vaccinations, allergy shots, or prescription renewals are available. Students who wish to be seen on Saturday are to check in at the Health and Wellness Center by 1:30. During semester breaks and summers, hours are reduced and there is no Saturday clinic.
However, many illnesses and injuries may require services outside the Health and Wellness Center, such as x-rays, lab work, prescription drugs, and costly hospital inpatient stays. For these reasons, the University requires that all undergraduate students be covered by adequate medical insurance or enroll in the University sponsored plan.
Review the information available on this website carefully. Even if you are covered under another plan, read the brochure carefully. Many commercial plans have high deductibles and coinsurance provisions not found in the student plan. You will also need to make certain that you are eligible for the coverage that you currently have through August of 2016.
Important information for varsity athletes: This plan has a limited benefit of $2,000.00 for intercollegiate sports injuries and is NOT intended to cover the full range of costs associated with intercollegiate sports injuries.
If your personal insurance has limited out of area benefits OR significant referral restrictions (HMO), we urge you to seriously consider taking the school sponsored plan. Many insurance plans will only pay for treatment outside the Network area when it is an emergency and will not pay for treatment from doctors out of the area without prior permission. We suggest you check with your insurer to see how it handles out of area claims.
Important requirements. All undergraduate students are required to show proof of other insurance or purchase the University sponsored plan. In order to waive the University sponsored plan, you must follow the instructions below:
- Click on the “Waiver Form” link on the left side of this page.
- Complete all required fields.
- If required information is missing, your waiver will NOT be accepted. (NOTE: You will need the student’s LIN to waive coverage.)
- Submit the form. Shortly thereafter, you will see a message that your form has been successfully submitted. If you do not receive this message, enter the required corrections and resubmit until you receive a confirmation message. The waiver contains a field for your email address. By entering your email address, you will receive a confirming email message indicating your request has been processed. Print and/or retain this message as proof of your waiver.
- Print and save this message or retain the confirmation email for your proof of waiver.
Ask Questions. If you have any questions, please call the broker, University Health Plans at (800) 437-6448 or email at email@example.com. They will be glad to help you with any questions you may have.
Best wishes for a healthy year.
Susan C. Kitei, M.D. Director