Gordon College

2018-2019 Academic Year

Dear Students and Parents,

Massachusetts Law requires that all students enrolled in at least 3/4 course load (or more) must either provide proof of enrollment in a medical insurance plan that meets the Commonwealth mandated guidelines or be automatically enrolled in a university-sponsored plan. Therefore, if you are a full-time or three-quarter time matriculating undergraduate or graduate student for the 2018-2019 Academic Year at Gordon College, you are required to have sufficient health insurance coverage while in attendance at the College.

To meet the requirements of Massachusetts law, Gordon College provides an insurance plan to its students.  The student health insurance plan for the 2018-2019 policy year is through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.  The cost to enroll for Fall semester is $1,889 for annual coverage period August 1, 2018 through July 31, 2019. The cost to enroll for new/transfer Spring semester is $1,104 from January 1, 2019 through July 31, 2019.  The enrollment and waiver deadline for Fall semester is July 15, 2018 and the Spring semester deadline is January 15, 2019.

If you have comprehensive health insurance, you may have this fee removed from your college bill, by completing the online Waiver Form found at www.universityhealthplans.com

When accessing the Waiver Form, you will be prompted “Are you a MassHealth Member (Massachusetts Medicaid Member)”.  If you answer “Yes”, you will be directed to the SHIP Premium Assistance Program enrollment form.  To learn more about this program, please go to www.universityhealthplans.com/MHPA/.  If you answer “No”, please continue in completing your waiver form.

Please note that if your current coverage is terminated at any point during the remainder of this year, you will need to contact the school within 60 days so that you may be covered under Gordon’s health insurance plan.

A Waiver Form must be submitted each academic year. Please take into consideration if your Health Plan offers coverage in the Wenham/Greater Boston area before declining coverage. HMO plans based in states other than Massachusetts have a limited network and limited coverage.

To assist you in making an informed decision regarding your health insurance needs, here are some general questions to ask your current health plan to ensure that it provides adequate coverage:

  • Does your current health plan provide coverage while in the area of Gordon College? Many HMO plans provide coverage for Emergency Treatment only, while out-of-area of the local HMO.
  • Does your current health plan cover mental health services? Many employer-sponsored plans provide very limited coverage for mental health services.
  • Does your current health plan provide coverage anywhere in the world, including medical evacuation and repatriation benefits? Many employer-sponsored plans will only provide coverage while in the United States, and most do not include any medical evacuation or repatriation benefits.
  • Does your current health plan include a nationwide network of Preferred Providers, guaranteeing acceptance of your insurance plan, and reducing the student’s out-of-pocket expenses? Many employer-sponsored plans are managed-care type plans, with a regionally based preferred provider network.
  • Does your current health plan include Prescription Drug coverage, and a nationwide network of member pharmacies? Many employer sponsored plans do not provide prescription drug coverage, or only very limited benefits available at certain local pharmacies.

If your current insurance plan meets the guidelines stated above, you should complete the on-line Waiver Form.   

If you are enrolling in the school-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan, you should complete the online Enrollment Form to confirm your acceptance of the plan and expedite the processing of your insurance card.

For more information about the Student Health Insurance Plan, Summary of Benefits, or the Waiver/Enrollment process, please contact University Health Plans at info@univhealthplans.com or 800-437-6448.