New York School of Interior Design
STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN
2016-2017 Academic Year
The New York School of Interior Design requires all undergraduate and graduate students taking 9 or more credits to be covered by a health insurance plan.
Any student who does not already have a health insurance plan will be automatically enrolled in the Consolidated Health Plan Program, arranged by the college and administered through University Health Plans, Inc. Due to the rising cost of health insurance, please review the Summary of Benefits carefully as some benefits have changed for the 2016-2017 plan year. The following changes were made:
- The In-Network Deductible has increased from $150 to $350
- The Out-of-Network Deductible has increased from $250 to $700
- A Room & Board Copay of $150 per admission for in and out-of-network has been added
- Out-of-Network benefits for preventative services has been added as this benefit is required by the state
All students enrolled will receive new insurance ID cards. Cards can be picked up from the Dean of Students Office (69th Street building, 2nd Floor). Students can also download an online insurance ID card via the link in the navigation menu. A brochure outlining the benefits may be found by clicking on the brochure link. Students who are enrolled in this plan will be billed for the coverage.
2017 Spring Annual Student Plan Rate:
Any student who already has a health insurance plan that is comparable to the health insurance program offered by the school may choose to waive this coverage. Please be sure that services covered by your current health insurance plan are reasonably accessible in the NYSID area and include lab work, prescription drugs, outpatient hospital services, emergency room care, and hospitalization. For new students entering in spring 2017, the health insurance waiver will be effective from January 18, 2017 until August 26, 2017. A new waiver form must be submitted at the beginning of each academic year.
In order to waive coverage, you must login to the NYSID portal:
Click on the student tab, locate “Health Insurance Waiver” and click on the link. You will need a copy of your current health insurance card, as this card contains the information you will need to complete the waiver form. You will receive a confirmation once you have successfully completed the waiver or enrollment process. Please retain this information. If you do not receive a confirmation, you will need to correct any errors and re-submit the information.
- Any student who does not submit a waiver form before 2/1/2017 will automatically be enrolled and charged for the full cost of the Spring Plan. Waivers will not be accepted after this date.
- No exceptions or refunds will be granted.
- If a student’s number of credits drops below 9 after 2/1/2017 they will still be responsible for the full cost of the Spring Plan premium of $1,521.
- If any student enrolled in the plan submits a claim to Consolidated Health Plans prior to the deadline date and submits a waiver, the waiver will be cancelled and the student will be responsible for the Spring Plan premium of $1,521.
If you have any questions about the insurance plan please call University Health Plans at 1-800-437-6448. If you have questions about the premium that will be charged to your bill, please contact Estela Madrigal at 212-472-1500, extension 218.