New England College of Optometry
2023-2024 Academic Year
Student Health Insurance Plan
New England College of Optometry is pleased to announce that for the 2023-2024 Academic Year we have continued to team up with Blue Cross and Blue Shield to provide a comprehensive Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for our students.
Plan Change For 2023-2024: The policy year deductible will change from $50 to $250. The prescription drug coinsurance for Tier 4 and Tier 5 will change from 30% to 50%. Use the Prescription Info link on the left to determine your mediation's tier.
US Residents: All domestic students enrolled at least ¾ time are required by Massachusetts State law to enroll in the SHIP or be covered by a health insurance plan with comparable coverage. To ensure compliance with Massachusetts law, students who are registered for 9 or more credit hours are automatically billed for the Student Health Plan. To read the details on this law, click here.
International Students (including Canadian and other non-US Residents): ALL international students at New England College of Optometry are required to enroll in the SHIP. You can only waive the SHIP if you are currently enrolled in a US health insurance plan that is filed and approved in the US with benefits that meet or exceed those provided by New England College of Optometry's Student Health Insurance Plan (See below for insurance requirements). If you are covered by an Embassy Sponsored Program or believe that you have adequate in country coverage, please contact University Health Plans at (833) 251-1254.
Student Health Insurance Policy Period, Rate and Deadline:
|8/26/2023 - 08/25/2024
|extended to 9/15/2023
Please note: For waiving or enrolling purposes, your student ID number is a 5-digit number printed on your tuition bill. Any student who does not waive out of the plan by the posted deadline will be automatically enrolled in the plan.
Students who have other comparable coverage under a Plan that meets or exceeds the requirements and would like to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan must submit the "Waiver Form" in the navigation menu on the left side of this page.
In order to be eligible for the waiver, a student must be currently insured by a US-based health insurance plan that provides you with comparable coverage to the student health insurance plan.
To waive the SHIP your health insurance plan must meet the below requirements:
- Be a US health insurance plan that is filed and approved in the US
- Provide coverage for the entire academic year (8/26/23-8/25/24) with no break in coverage. Travel insurance and short-term limited duration plans are not accepted
- Fully comply with the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and provide minimum essential coverage as defined by the ACA including:
- Provide an unlimited policy maximum
- Include coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Provide emergency and non-emergency care in the area of the College
Additionally, please consider the following before submitting a waiver:
- Not all plans provide comprehensive coverage everywhere you go. Out-of-state Medicaid and HMO plans as well as managed care plans are examples of plans that may not provide comprehensive coverage in the Boston area. Be sure to check with your insurance company before waiving.
- MassHealth or Massachusetts Medicaid is a health-care program for people living in Massachusetts who get medical care in Massachusetts. MassHealth is accepted, however, it may not cover emergency treatment outside of Massachusetts and is not recommended for students in their final year rotations.
- Other programs such as MassHealth Limited, Health Safety Net, Husky Healthcare, and Children’s Medical Security Plans are not considered comparable to the Student Health Insurance Plan.
If while still an eligible student, your comparable plan ends before 8/25/24, you must either enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan within 60 days of your other plan’s end date or find comparable coverage elsewhere
Eligible students who intend to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan must complete the “Enrollment Form” on the left hand side of this page to expedite the processing of your enrollment. Eligible students who do not submit a waiver or enrollment form by the deadline will be automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. A late waiver form will not be accepted.
Qualifying Event Enrollment: Students who submit a waiver form and later lose their other comparable coverage while still an eligible student must either enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan within 60 days of the other plan’s termination date or find comparable coverage that meets the waiver requirements elsewhere.
Insurance cards will be distributed directly to the students. Students must submit the enrollment form with a US mailing address. Member information can also be accessed electronically through the "Insurance Card" link in the navigation menu or by downloading the MyBlue Member App or creating a MyBlue Member account.
For complete details on the policy, please click "Benefit Information" in the navigation menu on the left side of this page.
Many students are interested in coverage for dental services. The Student Health Insurance Plan provides coverage for pediatric dental benefits only for members under the age of 19 (as required by law). New England College of Optometry students have the opportunity to enroll in a voluntary dental plan if needed.
Optional Plans: Information about available voluntary plans such as dental, renters and dorm insurance is available in the navigation menu under “Optional Plans”.
UHP is available to answer general insurance plan questions. To speak with a representative, please call (833) 251-1254 or send an email to email@example.com.
If you have specific questions regarding the benefits, please feel free to contact Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts at (888) 753-6615.