SCHOOL OF VISUAL ARTS
2019-2020 STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN
To make sure that SVA students have access to quality health care services, they are automatically enrolled in the SVA-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan and billed $2,690 ($1,345 per semester) by Student Accounts. The annual coverage period is August 25, 2019 - August 24, 2020. Students enrolled for the spring coverage period only (January 1, 2020 - August 24, 2020) are billed $1,730.
Here are some highlights of the SVA-sponsored student health insurance:
- Access to CIGNA’s nationwide provider network (PPO)
- 90% coverage for in network providers (Cigna) / 60% coverage for out of network providers
- Prescription drug & mental health coverage
- Inpatient hospitalization coverage
- Travel assistance services
REMOVING THE INSURANCE PLAN & FEE
Students who have comparable coverage and do not want to remain enrolled in the SVA-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan must provide information about their insurance coverage each year by completing the Online Waiver Form. The deadline for the 2019-2020 policy year is October 1, 2019. If you do not complete a waiver form by the deadline date, you will be responsible for the Health Insurance Fee.
To waive the Student Health Insurance Plan and report your own insurance:
- The policy must be a US health insurance plan that is filed and approved in the US
- The policy must provide coverage for the entire academic year with no break in coverage.
- The policy must be in full compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and provide minimum essential coverage as defined by the ACA including:
- The policy must provide an unlimited policy maximum
- The policy cannot have a pre-existing condition limitation
- The policy must provide emergency and non-emergency local coverage in the area of SVA
- The policy must provide an unlimited maximum for mental/behavioral health care for inpatient and outpatient services
The following are NOT considered comparable coverage and are NOT eligible for a waiver of the SVA Student Health Insurance Plan:
- Students with coverage from insurance carriers based outside the United States or coverage by foreign National Health Insurance programs. (International travel plans such as ISO, PSI and Student Medicover are not ACA compliant, are not filed in the US and are not eligible for a waiver.)
- Students with a health insurance plan, such as out of state HMO and EPO plans, that provide coverage through a closed network of providers not reasonably assessable in the area where the student attends school, for all but emergency services; or
- Travel insurance and short-term limited duration plans, such as ISO, PSI and Student Medicover are not accepted.
Click here to access the Online Waiver Form.
STUDENT INSURANCE RE-ENROLLMENT
If you have a life changing event (i.e. involuntary loss of coverage) and need to re-enroll in the insurance plan after submitting a waiver, please contact University Health Plans at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss re-enrollment.
If you need assistance while navigating this system, please contact our broker, University Health Plans, Inc., at 1-800-437-6448.