SCHOOL OF VISUAL ARTS
2019-2020 STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN
To make sure that SVA students have access to quality health care services, they are automatically enrolled in the SVA-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan and billed $2,690 ($1,345 per semester) by Student Accounts. The annual coverage period is August 25, 2019 - August 24, 2020. Students enrolled for the spring coverage period only (January 1, 2020 - August 24, 2020) are billed $1,730.
Here are some highlights of the SVA-sponsored student health insurance:
- Access to CIGNA’s nationwide provider network (PPO)
- 90% coverage for in network providers (Cigna) / 60% coverage for out of network providers
- Prescription drug & mental health coverage
- Inpatient hospitalization coverage
- Travel assistance services
REMOVING THE INSURANCE PLAN & FEE
Students who have comparable coverage and do not want to remain enrolled in the SVA-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan must provide information about their insurance coverage each year by completing the Online Waiver Form. The deadline for the 2019-2020 policy year is October 1, 2019. If you do not complete a waiver form by the deadline date, you will be responsible for the Health Insurance Fee.
To waive the Student Health Insurance Plan and report your own insurance:
- The policy must be a US health insurance plan that is filed and approved in the US
- The policy must provide coverage for the entire academic year with no break in coverage.
- The policy must be in full compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and provide minimum essential coverage as defined by the ACA including:
- The policy must provide an unlimited policy maximum
- The policy cannot have a pre-existing condition limitation
- The policy must provide emergency and non-emergency local coverage in the area of SVA
- The policy must provide an unlimited maximum for mental/behavioral health care for inpatient and outpatient services
The following are NOT considered comparable coverage and are NOT eligible for a waiver of the SVA Student Health Insurance Plan:
- Students with coverage from insurance carriers based outside the United States or coverage by foreign National Health Insurance programs.
- International student insurance plans such as ISO, PSI and Student Medicover (these plans are not ACA compliant, are not filed in the US and are not eligible for a waiver.)
- Students with a health insurance plan, such as out of state HMO and EPO plans, that provide coverage through a closed network of providers not reasonably assessable in the area where the student attends school, for all but emergency services; or
- Travel insurance and short-term limited duration plans are not accepted.
Click here to access the Online Waiver Form.
STUDENT INSURANCE RE-ENROLLMENT
If you have a life changing event (i.e. involuntary loss of coverage) and need to re-enroll in the insurance plan after submitting a waiver, please contact University Health Plans at email@example.com to discuss re-enrollment.
If you need assistance while navigating this system, please contact our broker, University Health Plans, Inc., at 1-800-437-6448.