STUDENT HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN
2023-2024 Academic Year
All students enrolled at least 3/4 time are required by Massachusetts State law to enroll in the Student Health Insurance or be covered by a health insurance plan with comparable coverage. To ensure compliance with the Massachusetts State Law, matriculated full-time and three-quarter-time Day students enrolled in 9 or more credits are automatically billed for and enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. read the details of this law, click here.
All international students in the U.S. will be automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan and do not need to take any action. Please note that the Nichols College Student Health Insurance Plan meets J1/J2 visa requirements.
Please contact University Health Plans at email@example.com to request the International Student Waiver Form if you are covered by a plan with comparable coverage with benefits that meet or exceed those of the Massachusetts Essential Health Benefits Benchmark Plan.
The following are the minimum benefits your plan must provide:
- Unlimited policy maximum, no dollar limit, on Essential Health Benefits in Massachusetts:
- Ambulatory patient services (outpatient care you get without being admitted to a hospital)
- Emergency services
- Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services including behavioral health treatment (this includes counseling and psychotherapy)
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices (services and devices to help people with injuries, disabilities, or chronic conditions gain or recover mental and physical skills)
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions with no waiting period
- A network of providers and pharmacies in Massachusetts
International students may not waive the SHIP with insurance carriers from outside of the U.S. or foreign National Health Service programs.
The 2023-2024 Nichols College Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) is provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. The plan is ACA-compliant and includes access to Blue Cross Blue Shield's national PPO network of providers. Students do not have to select a primary care physician and referrals are not required.
Nichols College has partnered with University Health Plans to administer the plan and help with waiver, enrollment, or benefit-related questions. University Health Plans can be reached at 833-251-1153 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost and Coverage Periods
|New Spring Students
|8/15/23 - 8/14/24
|1/1/24 - 8/14/24
|September 21, 2023
|January 23, 2024
Students needing coverage should enroll in the SHIP by completing the enrollment form located in the navigation menu on the left-hand side of this page. Although students are automatically charged for the SHIP on their term bill, students will not be automatically enrolled by the College until after the deadline date. Students should enroll as soon as possible to avoid difficulties in accessing their health insurance benefits.
If you are covered by a comprehensive health insurance plan you can opt out of the Nichols College SHIP by completing the waiver form, located in the navigation menu on the left-hand side of this page. Please allow 10-15 business days from the date of your waiver submission for the credit to be reflected on your student bill. Before waiving, compare the cost, coverage, and benefits of the SHIP to your existing plan. To waive, your plan must meet the below requirements:
- The policy must be comparable to the Student Health Insurance Plan with benefits that meet or exceed those of the Massachusetts Essential Health Benefits Benchmark Plan. International insurance plans, travel insurance, and short-term limited-duration plans are not accepted.
- Your plan must provide access to doctors, specialists, hospitals, labs, pharmacies, and mental health/behavioral health providers in the Nichols College campus area. Please note, if you are covered by a health insurance plan outside the Dudley area, your coverage may be limited or unavailable while at Nichols College. This is particularly a concern if you are insured through an out-of-state Medicaid or HMO as these types of plans do not provide out-of-network coverage. Please check with your insurance company on possible limitations before submitting a waiver form. Urgent and/or emergency-only coverage does not meet the SHIP requirements.
Qualifying Event Enrollment Process
Students who waived the SHIP may qualify for special enrollment rights if they incur an involuntary loss of other coverage. To request the enrollment form and premium quote, please contact University Health Plans at email@example.com
To enroll, you must submit an enrollment form, a letter from your prior insurance company documenting your loss of coverage, and payment within 60 days of the qualifying event. If all items are received by the deadline coverage will be effective as of the first day without coverage under your prior plan.
Student Financial Services
Loyalty. Service. Culture.
Phone: 508 213-2288