STUDENT ACCIDENT & SICKNESS INSURANCE PROGRAM
FOR THE 2013-2014 ACADEMIC YEAR
Dear Washington College Students and Parents:
All full-time students enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours are automatically enrolled in the school-sponsored Student Accident & Sickness Insurance Plan. The annual premium will be included on the student’s fall semester tuition bill. If a student has comparable coverage, and does not wish to participate in the school-sponsored plan, the student must provide proof of alternate coverage by the following deadlines:
|Fall Semester:||July 15, 2013|
|Spring Semester (newly enrolled students only):||January 15, 2014|
You should complete an online Enrollment Form if you want to confirm your acceptance of the plan and expedite the processing of your insurance card. Same deadline dates as listed above.
The school-sponsored plan is managed by University Health Plans, Inc. in partnership with Chartis. The plan is underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, Pa.
The following health plan enhancements are being introduced for the 2013-2014 Plan Year:
- Outpatient Prescription Benefit: The prescription benefit features a prescription drug card through a nationwide pharmacy network.
- Aggregate Maximum Benefit: $500,000 per Injury or Sickness.
To assist you in making an informed decision regarding your health insurance needs, here are some general questions to ask your current health plan to ensure that it provides adequate coverage:
- Does your current health plan provide coverage while in the Chestertown, MD area? Many HMO plans provide coverage for Emergency Treatment only, while out-of-area of the local HMO.
- Will your current health plan provide coverage as long as you are registered at Washington College? Most employer plans drop dependents at a certain age or if a parent has a job change.
- Does your current health plan cover mental health services? Many employer-sponsored plans provide very limited coverage for mental health services.
- Does your current health plan provide coverage anywhere in the world, including medical evacuation and repatriation benefits? Many employer-sponsored plans will only provide coverage while in the United States, and most do not include any medical evacuation or repatriation benefits.
- Does your current health plan include a nationwide network of Preferred Providers, guaranteeing acceptance of your insurance plan, and reducing your out-of-pocket expenses? Many employer-sponsored plans are managed-care type plans, with a regionally based preferred provider network.
If you feel that your private health insurance will adequately meet your needs while at Washington College, you may waive the Accident and Sickness Insurance fee on-line.
- Visit www.universityhealthplans.com
- Click on "Washington College"
- Select the Student Accident & Sickness Plan option
- Click on the "WAIVE FORM" button to the left
- Fill in all the required information – if any information is missing, you will not be able to submit your waiver.
- Submit the Waiver Form. If your form is successfully submitted, you will see a page containing your confirmation number. Please be sure to print this confirmation for your records. In addition, an email will be sent to the address provided on the waiver form containing the same confirmation number. Please note, if you do not reach a confirmation page with a confirmation number, your form was not properly submitted. Please fill it out again, and re-submit. If you still do not reach a confirmation page, contact University Health Plans via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or by phone at (800) 437-6448 or (617) 472-5324.
FAILURE TO COMPLETE the on-line Waiver Form by the Fall Semester deadline of July 15, 2013 will result in your mandatory purchase of the College's Student Insurance Plan for the 2013-2014 Academic Year without the possibility of later waiver, refund or cancellation.
Please note that you will be required to complete a new waiver for each academic year you are attending Washington College.
If you have any questions regarding this policy and its terms, please contact University Health Plans, Inc. at 1-800-437-6448.
We encourage you to read the information provided. If you have questions regarding the Washington College-sponsored Student Accident and Sickness Plan, please contact University Health Plans Inc. at 1.800.437.6448, by email at email@example.com or visit their website at www.universityhealthplans.com.